Curriculum Vitae: Les Nichols
Mr. Nichols specializes in developing child and youth protection programs for youth serving organizations. For 22 years, he served as the lead youth safety and facility expert for Boys & Girls Clubs of America, which provides out – of – school time programs and activities for approximately 4,000,000 youth at over 4,000 sites including domestic and overseas military bases, college campuses, tribal lands, camps, housing projects, parks, recreation and community centers , churches and schools.
He has consulted with organizations in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, Germany, Italy, England, Spain, Guam, Philippines, and Japan and written and lectured on effective organizational strategies to prevent sexual abuse, bullying, violence, abduction and physical injuries through background checks and screening, training and supervising staff and volunteers, policies and procedures, governance and reporting, facility design and maintenance and emergency response planning.
Mr. Nichols is a board – certified protection professional (CPP) through the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS International), and a licensed architect. He has a Master of Science in Security Administration, holds certificates in Enterprise Risk Management and Emergency Response Planning and has been educated in terrorism and homeland security i ssues at the grad uate level. He is experienced in The Situational Prevention Approach, Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED), Threat – Vulnerability Analysis to help develop effective and sustainable organizational child and youth protection strategies.
- R.L. Nichols & Associates, LLC.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- Cumberland America, Inc.
- Church Building Associates, Inc.
- Staub, Robison, Williams & Nichols, PC
- Sasaki Associates, Inc.
- Philip Minervino Associates, PC
- HOK International, Inc.
- The Vincent Association, Inc.
- Master of Science in Security Administration, 2015 Professional Studies Program, Southwestern College, Kansas
- Bachelor of Architecture, 1977 University of Texas at Austin
- The National Coalition to Prevent Child Sex Abuse and Exploitation
- The American Society for Industrial Security/ASIS International
- International Association of Professional Security Consultants
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Situational Abuse in Youth Serving Organizations Focus Group
- Portland State University, PSY 410: Preventing Sexual Violence
- University of North Florida, Protect the Children Conference
- Auburn University College of Education, Alabama Statewide Anti-Bullying Summit
- Cornell University, DEA 3301: The Environment and Social Behavior
- National Academies of Science, Engineering & Medicine, Resilient America Roundtable
- United States Department of Defense, European Youth Development Conferences
- United States Chamber of Commerce, Due Diligence, Background Checks and Employment Conference
- Office of Juvenile Justice Delinquency Programs, Missing and Exploited Children Program
- Office of Juvenile Justice Delinquency Programs, Annual Youth Gang Symposia
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Organizational Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse Expert Meeting
- Boys & Girls Club of Canada, National Conferences
- The Civil Air Patrol Advisory Board, Cadet Protection Program Review
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America, National, Regional and State Conferences
- National Child Advocacy Centers, International Symposium on Child Abuse
- The Nonprofit Risk Management Center, Annual Conferences
- The American Society for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, Annual Conference
- The Children’s Advocacy Center of Georgia, World Day of Prevention of Child Abuse
- Ms. Foundation for Women, Annual Conference
Initiatives and Programs
- U.S. PROTECT Act Background Check Pilot Study (5 years) – The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and The Federal Bureau of Investigation/BGCA, MENTOR and The National Council for Youth Sports
- BGCA Background Check Program (14 years) – First Advantage Screening Solutions (LexisNexis-Choicepoint)/BGCA
- Child Safety Hotline Program (5 years) – Praesidium/BGCA
- Situational Prevention Approach Pilot Study (3 years) – Portland State University and Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape/BGCA
- Diana Screen Pilot Study (2 years)- Abel Screening/BGC of Delaware
- Ban-the-Box Laws Advocacy Initiative (2 years) – Consumer Data Industry Association and National Association of Professional Background Screeners
- National Insurance Program (3 years) – Markel Insurance and Crystal & Co./BGCA
- Safe on All Sides Risk Management Program (5 years) – Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs/BGCA
- Sex Abuse Prevention Pilot Study (3 years) – New York Life Foundation/BGCA
- Safe Spaces/CPTED Program (3 years) – Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs/BGCA
- Environmental and Behavioral Design Study (3 years) – Cornell University/BGCA
- KidSpaces/Youth Facility Design Program (3 years) – U.S. Army MWR/BGCA
Experienced and available for consulting, speaking, training and expert witnessing assignments in areas of safety, security and risk reduction in the care of school age children and teens. Also available to consult on facility-specific safety and security concerns